DENNIS BUTLER and KRIS BUTLER
Own, manage, and train for American Dog Obedience Center , LLC, since 1979. Nationally recognized dog trainers, specializing in programs that improve the quality of people’s lives through interactions with trained dogs. More than 2500 dogs have stayed at American Dog Obedience Center received the Butler’s unique brand of hands-on dog training.
The Butlers don’t just work with YOUR dogs.Their personal “play time” is spent with their dogs — and they are VERY good at both!
Even if you don’t think performance titles matter for YOUR dog, shouldn’t the person who works with your dog be an accomplished trainer? At the higher levels, performance titles provide peer-approved recognition of exemplary training and handling skills. When you ask a trainer, “What have you accomplished with dogs?” performance titles provide proof of results, not just theory. It is not enough to claim to have trained dogs for ten years if one has merely repeated the same six months’ inexperience twenty times over! Dennis and Kris can boast a long history of the highest levels of success in the world’s most respected competitive dog sporting venues!
- During 2014 border collie Lincoln and Dennis earned AKC’s highest agility titles AX & AXJ and are now competing at Masters level agility.
- During 2014 Lab Henry and Kris earned AKC Rally Obedience’s highest title RAE. Along the way they earned several first placements with perfect scores and “High Combined in Trial” awards – and they qualified for the AKC 2015 Rally National Championship event.
- March, 2013 – Lab Henry became the first Labrador Retriever ever to win an AKC National Agility Championship, trained & Handled by Dennis Butler. An amazing accomplishment!
- January, 2012 – Lab Henry and Dennis Butler completed requirements for AKC’s Master Agility Champion (MACH) title — with 61 first-place Master qualifications contributing to MACH points and MACH QQs.
- 2011, 2012, 2013 – Dennis and Lab Henry qualified for 3 consecutive AKC National Agility Championships.
- Prior to agility, Lab Henry and Dennis competed in AKC field trials, earning JAMs in Derby and Qualifying events.
- October, 2013 – Border collie Yarr and Kris earned AKC’s highest rally title RAE with 8 High Combined in Trial awards and 4 perfect scores among his double-qualifying courses. In the process Yarr qualified for the 2014 AKC National Rally Championship event.
- Earlier in his career, Yarr and Kris earned AKC’s Excellent agility titles, AX and AXJ,
- Between May 2008 & February 2009 Labrador Retriever Key earned AKC’s Novice, Open, and Excellent agility titles, AX and AXJ. Previously Key had placed first and earned QAA status in AKC field trials and earned an AKC CD obedience title. All events trained for and handled by Dennis Butler.
- Between 1983 & 1994 Dennis and Kris Butler earned 9 AKC CD obedience titles; 2 AKC CDX (advanced) obedience titles; and 6 AKC JH hunt test titles with dogs they trained and handled.
- Dennis Butler is a former Guide Dogs for the Blind Trainer and Instructor.
- Kris Butler is a member Association of Professional Dog Trainers (APDT).
- Beyond their own experiences, Kris & Dennis have attended hundreds of hours of dog training and behavior seminars, studying a broad range of topics, methods, and philosophies from the world’s leading professionals.
KRIS IS A CERTIFIED CANINE FITNESS INSTRUCTOR & COACH –October 2015, Kris achieved FitBalls Master Trainer status after participating in a 3-day workshop in Colorado, passing course test, and passing review of 3 case studies in 3 months.
KRIS BUTLER IS AN EXPERT IN THE WORLD OF THERAPY DOGS
• Author a successful book,Therapy Dogs Today and a book/DVD, Therapy Dogs: Compassionate Modalities. The second edition of Therapy Dogs Today was published in 2014.
• Served as an adjunct faculty member in University of Denver’s Graduate School of Social Work. From 2006 – 2008, she worked in development and served as instructor of DU’s online Animals and Human Health certificate program.
• Developed goal-directed animal-enhanced rehabilitation programs at Integris Jim Thorpe Rehabilitation Hospital in Oklahoma City , Southwestern Medical Center Rehabilitation Unit in Lawton , and trained therapists who developed a goal-directed program at The Rehab Unit at Mercy Hospital in Oklahoma City .
• 1995 – 2004 provided weekly contract services to Integris Jim Thorpe Rehabilitation Hospital in Oklahoma City,handling her skilled therapy dogs during individual treatment sessions with therapists and patients.
• During 2002 developed and implemented a comprehensive volunteer selection and training process for Integris Jim Thorpe Rehabilitation Hospital.
• In 1995, founded Petworks In Progress Foundation, a non-profit 501-c-3 organization for volunteer therapy animal handlers.
• Developed an animal-enhanced experiential program at an alternative high school in Moore, OK, working with her trained dogs and a licensed family therapist to meet adjudicated students’ goals in communication and social skills. Transitioned the program to include volunteer animal/handler teams.
• Developed a goal-directed animal-enhanced experiential program for an elementary school in Norman OK, which included her trained dog, and a special education teacher which lasted 3 semesters.
• Introduced animal-enhanced experiential learning at another elementary school, Norman OK, working for one year with her trained dog and a special education teacher to meet goals of children identified as ED.
• At least 4 public school systems in Oklahoma have had teachers who have included their own trained dogs in educational environments after attending Kris’s Reaching People Through Dogs programs for educators.
• Beginning in 1997, provided professional consulting services, delivered training seminars, conducted site assessments, trained animal evaluators, and conducted animal evaluations in Wyoming, Texas, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Arkansas, Ohio, New York, and Washington, as well as in Oklahoma.
• Licensed evaluator, evaluator instructor, team instructor, and site assessor for Delta Society Pet Partners 1994 – 2007. She has served as a paid instructor and consultant on several Pet Partners projects throughout the USA .
• Awarded Delta Society’s prestigious Therapy Dog of the Year Honor, with golden retriever, Partner, in 1995.
• Member Therapy Dogs Inc. from early 1990’s to 2008.