DENNIS BUTLER and KRIS BUTLER
Own, manage, and train for American Dog Obedience Center , LLC, since 1979. Nationally recognized dog trainers, specializing in programs that improve the quality of people’s lives through interactions with trained dogs. More than 4500 dogs have stayed at American Dog Obedience Center received the Butler’s unique brand of hands-on dog training.
The Butlers don’t just work with YOUR dogs.Their personal “play time” is spent with their dogs — and they are VERY good at both!
It is not enough for the trainer asking for your dollars to have always loved dogs. Even if you don’t think performance titles matter for YOUR dog, shouldn’t the person who works with your dog be an accomplished trainer? At the higher levels, performance titles provide peer-approved recognition of exemplary training and handling skills. When you ask a trainer, “What have you accomplished with dogs?” performance titles provide proof of results, not just theory. It is not enough to claim to have trained dogs for ten years if one has merely repeated the same six months’ inexperience twenty times over! Dennis and Kris can boast a long history of the highest levels of success in the world’s most respected competitive dog sporting venues!
- 2019 – Kris and border collie Rave On entered their first AKC rally trial in April. By November (last trial before 2020 shut-downs), Rave On had earned Novice, Advanced, and Excellent rally titles, with 7 q’s toward her Master title. During their last 7 trials, June – November, they earned 4 Triple and 4 Double high-in-trial awards.
- 2019 – Dennis and border colllie Lincoln completed requirements for AKC MACH2. They met qualification requirements and attended AKC National Agility Championships in Tulsa, OK, where Lincoln qualified nicely for the Challengers Round in the finals.
- 2017 – Kris and border collie Rave On earn AKC AX and AXJ titles in just 8 months of limited trialing.
- March 2017 – Dennis and Border Collie Lincoln earned AKC’s highest agility title – Master Agility Championship (MACH), never out of the ribbons, placing first vast majority of qualifying runs.
- 2016 – Dennis and border collie Lincoln met qualification requirements and attended AKC National Agility Championships in Tulsa OK. They qualified for, but did not attend 2017 AKC National Agility Championships in Georgia.
- During 2014 Lab Henry and Kris earned AKC Rally Obedience’s highest title RAE. Along the way they earned several first placements with perfect scores and “High Combined in Trial” awards – and they qualified for the AKC 2015 Rally National Championship event.
- March, 2013 – Lab Henry became the first Labrador Retriever ever to win an AKC National Agility Championship, trained & Handled by Dennis Butler. An amazing accomplishment!
- January, 2012 – Lab Henry and Dennis Butler completed requirements for AKC’s Master Agility Champion (MACH) title — with 61 first-place Master qualifications contributing to MACH points and MACH QQs.
- 2011, 2012, 2013 – Dennis and Lab Henry qualified for 3 consecutive AKC National Agility Championships.
- Prior to agility, Lab Henry and Dennis competed in AKC field trials, earning JAMs in Derby and Qualifying events.
- October, 2013 – Border collie Yarr and Kris earned AKC’s highest rally title RAE with 8 High Combined in Trial awards and 4 perfect scores among his double-qualifying courses. In the process Yarr qualified for the 2014 AKC National Rally Championship event.
- Earlier in his career, Yarr and Kris earned AKC’s Excellent agility titles, AX and AXJ,
- Between May 2008 & February 2009 Labrador Retriever Key earned AKC’s Novice, Open, and Excellent agility titles, AX and AXJ. Previously Key had placed first and earned QAA status in AKC field trials and earned an AKC CD obedience title. All events trained for and handled by Dennis Butler.
- Between 1983 & 1994 Dennis and Kris Butler earned 9 AKC CD obedience titles; 2 AKC CDX (advanced) obedience titles; and 6 AKC JH hunt test titles with dogs they trained and handled.
- Dennis Butler is a formerly licensed Guide Dogs for the Blind Trainer and Instructor.
- Kris Butler is a professional level member International Association of Canine Professionals (IACP).
- Beyond their own experiences, Kris & Dennis have attended hundreds of hours of dog training and behavior seminars, studying a broad range of topics, methods, and philosophies from the world’s leading professionals.
KRIS IS A CERTIFIED CANINE FITNESS TRAINER (CCFT) – Kris achieved CCFT status after participating in a 3-day workshop in Colorado and passing course test, passing veterinary review of 3 case studies in 3 months, and passing extensive online course through U of Tenn’s Veterinary School, November 2018.
KRIS BUTLER IS AN EXPERT IN THE WORLD OF THERAPY DOGS
• Author a successful book,Therapy Dogs Today and a book/DVD, Therapy Dogs: Compassionate Modalities. The second edition of Therapy Dogs Today was published in 2014. Available through Amazon.com and DogWise.com.
• Served as an adjunct faculty member in University of Denver’s Graduate School of Social Work. From 2006 – 2008, she worked in development and served as instructor of DU’s online Animals and Human Health certificate program.
• Developed goal-directed animal-enhanced rehabilitation programs at Integris Jim Thorpe Rehabilitation Hospital in Oklahoma City , Southwestern Medical Center Rehabilitation Unit in Lawton , and trained therapists who developed a goal-directed program at The Rehab Unit at Mercy Hospital in Oklahoma City .
• 1995 – 2004 provided weekly contract services to Integris Jim Thorpe Rehabilitation Hospital in Oklahoma City,handling her skilled therapy dogs during individual treatment sessions with therapists and patients.
• During 2002 developed and implemented a comprehensive volunteer selection and training process for Integris Jim Thorpe Rehabilitation Hospital.
• In 1995, founded Petworks In Progress Foundation, a non-profit 501-c-3 organization for volunteer therapy animal handlers.
• Developed an animal-enhanced experiential program at an alternative high school in Moore, OK, working with her trained dogs and a licensed family therapist to meet adjudicated students’ goals in communication and social skills. Transitioned the program to include volunteer animal/handler teams.
• Developed a goal-directed animal-enhanced experiential program for an elementary school in Norman OK, which included her trained dog, and a special education teacher which lasted 3 semesters.
• Introduced animal-enhanced experiential learning at another elementary school, Norman OK, working for one year with her trained dog and a special education teacher to meet goals of children identified as ED.
• At least 4 public school systems in Oklahoma have had teachers who have included their own trained dogs in educational environments after attending Kris’s Reaching People Through Dogs programs for educators.
• Beginning in 1997, provided professional consulting services, delivered training seminars, conducted site assessments, trained animal evaluators, and conducted animal evaluations in Wyoming, Texas, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Arkansas, Ohio, New York, and Washington, as well as in Oklahoma.
• Licensed evaluator, evaluator instructor, team instructor, and site assessor for Delta Society Pet Partners 1994 – 2007. She has served as a paid instructor and consultant on several Pet Partners projects throughout the USA .
• Awarded Delta Society’s prestigious Therapy Dog of the Year Honor, with golden retriever, Partner, in 1995.
• Member Therapy Dogs Inc. from early 1990’s to 2008.