KRIS BUTLER IS AN EXPERT IN THE WORLD OF THERAPY DOGS
• Author a successful book,Therapy Dogs Today and a book/DVD, Therapy Dogs: Compassionate Modalities. The second print edition of Therapy Dogs Today was published in 2014 and is currently available in ebook version through Amazon.com and DogWise.com.
• Served as an adjunct faculty member in University of Denver’s Graduate School of Social Work. From 2006 – 2008, she worked in development and served as instructor of DU’s online Animals and Human Health certificate program.
• Developed goal-directed animal-enhanced rehabilitation programs at Integris Jim Thorpe Rehabilitation Hospital in Oklahoma City , Southwestern Medical Center Rehabilitation Unit in Lawton , and trained therapists who developed a goal-directed program at The Rehab Unit at Mercy Hospital in Oklahoma City .
• 1995 – 2004 provided weekly contract services to Integris Jim Thorpe Rehabilitation Hospital in Oklahoma City,handling her skilled therapy dogs during individual treatment sessions with therapists and patients.
• During 2002 developed and implemented a comprehensive volunteer selection and training process for Integris Jim Thorpe Rehabilitation Hospital.
• In 1995, founded Petworks In Progress Foundation, a non-profit 501-c-3 organization for volunteer therapy animal handlers.
• Developed an animal-enhanced experiential program at an alternative high school in Moore, OK, working with her trained dogs and a licensed family therapist to meet adjudicated students’ goals in communication and social skills. Transitioned the program to include volunteer animal/handler teams.
• Developed a goal-directed animal-enhanced experiential program for an elementary school in Norman OK, which included her trained dog and a special education teacher which lasted 3 semesters.
• Introduced animal-enhanced experiential learning at another elementary school, Norman OK, working for one year with her trained dog and a special education teacher to meet goals of children identified as ED.
• At least 4 public school systems in Oklahoma have had teachers who have included their own trained dogs in educational environments after attending Kris’s Reaching People Through Dogs programs for educators.
• Beginning in 1997, provided professional consulting services, delivered training seminars, conducted site assessments, trained animal evaluators, and conducted animal evaluations in Wyoming, Texas, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Arkansas, Ohio, New York, and Washington, as well as in Oklahoma.
• Licensed evaluator, evaluator instructor, team instructor, and site assessor for Delta Society Pet Partners 1994 – 2007. She has served as a paid instructor and consultant on several Pet Partners projects throughout the USA .
• Awarded Delta Society’s prestigious Therapy Dog of the Year Honor, with golden retriever, Partner, in 1995.
• Member Therapy Dogs Inc. from early 1990’s to 2008.
American Dog Obedience Center, LLC
Home of National Agility Champion Henry and MACH Lincoln