WE ADDRESS BEHAVIORS FAMILIES NEED MOST
When your dog is a minimum of 5 months old, we will consider a structured boarding school program. A basic course lasts 3 weeks and will include:
- Walking-on-leash manners
- Sit – sit when greeting you (rather than your dog jumping on you), sit beside you at doors or gates until you give permission to come in or go out
- Come (off leash and even with distractions!!)
- Magic Carpet – staying on a rug that we furnish and you take back home with you. There are about a thousand troublesome things a trained dog can NOT do if s/he is staying on a magic carpet. For example, s/he can not jump on your company, beg at the table, get on the furniture, run through the house, dart out the door, or interfere with children as they play on the floor, if s/he is staying on a designated rug.
- Manners – not jumping on you, not chewing on you.
- Although we do not claim to be able to address every scenario, we can prepare families to require appropriate behaviors surrounding at-home issues. Feel free to discuss your needs with us. If we don’t feel we can address a dog’s behavior or meet your expectations, we will be honest with you.
WE TRAIN DOGS FOR BUSY FAMILIES
Most families, who certainly would cherish the companionship of a well-behaved dog, simply do not have the reserves of time or patience required to teach skills and behavior to a dog. You love your dog but his/her behavior causes you to feel stressed or angry, causing conflict. We understand! Although we love training dogs, we work for people. Dogs are, indeed, canines; but we feel that dogs are part of their human families – not the other way around.
Unless otherwise agreed upon, beginning January 2017 the cost of a 3-week boarding school program is $1800, which includes pretty much everything except food and any unexpected veterinary or care expenses, for which you are responsible. A quality Dogtra ecollar, your dog’s magic carpet, and OK sales tax on products are included in this price. A $70 per day charge is assessed for dogs left here past 3 weeks. We accept Visa & MasterCard credit cards, checks, and cash.
We offer a $100 discount on board and train programs to active & former military personnel as a gesture of appreciation for your service.
Click here for PAYMENT information and a printer-friendly list of items you’ll need to bring to boarding school.
THE DOG TRAINING REMEDY IS HERE – WE TRAIN YOUR DOG FOR YOU
Your dog stays at our custom boarding school – indoors, in a spacious kennel (no, not in a crate) – as s/he learns and plays in large scenic outdoor dog training areas. Each dog receives results-based skills and behavior training with Kris & Dennis Butler. Family participation is required for a “changeover” session that lasts 2 – 3 hours the last day your dog is here, and then your dog returns home. Our brand of dog training enhances companionship between dogs and their busy humans.
RESULTS-BASED DOG TRAINING
You should expect your dog to DO what you ask. Methods and behavioral principles provide a valuable foundation; but the ultimate test of a dog trainer’s success is results – not theories. You’ll experience a happy, relaxed dog who is not experiencing physical force, choking or loud voices. Neither will you be required to resort to useless bribery, although we do reward appropriate behaviors generously. Dog training at American Dog Obedience Center is humane, calming, and it is effective.
Even our wonderful program does not send home a “computerized” dog. A key element in the connection between people and their dogs is an effective way for busy families to require appropriate canine behaviors at home in the midst of the distractions and chaos we humans call “life.” Not only do we train dogs, but we also provide their human families with the tools you’ll need to achieve success at home. Your dog will enjoy more freedom because you enjoy more control – on and off leash.
American Dog Obedience Center is managed under a current unrestricted business kennel license issued by the City of Norman, Oklahoma. (License #1395). This licensed, legal, kennel facility hosts our dog and puppy boarding school students. Spacious indoor kennels and scenic outdoor work area are located on ten country acres in (east) Norman City Limits.
Being just 8 miles south of I-40, just off Choctaw Road (aka NE 120th in Norman), grants easy access to Norman, Oklahoma City and Tulsa families – and to those coming from out of state. Owners’ private home is on premises. Visits by appointment. Please note, in spite of our continued efforts to convince Google Maps & GPS otherwise, we are NOT located on Research Park Blvd.